The past 2 years presented numerous challenges for our country, community and our organization as well. We continued to find new “norms,” wore face masks, quarantined at home (again and again), searched for good and services we had relied upon in the past, and learned that we could participate in activities “virtually.” Through it all, we were resilient, flexible, and remained passionate in helping our abused and neglected children. Sadly, CASA for Kids broke an unbelievable record in our 30th year of service in 2020, serving 734 children. In 2021, CASA again served a heart-breaking number of children: 720! With the dedication and commitment of our volunteers, donors, staff and other partners, we met the demand! We even launched a few new programs: Grand Opening of our new Campus, Children’s Christmas at CASA, and our annual Justice is Served fundraising gala held at our new campus. We are committed to continuing this work this year and have visions of adding a new Teen Coordinator position to work exclusively with foster teens and helping youth aging out of foster care transition into adult-hood. We will begin work on our new playground and hope to fully open up our new Children’s Center and Conference Center.
- 720 children served
- 68 new volunteers trained
- Gift cards distributed in December
- Over 9,000 volunteer hours reported
- 171 cases closed
- New campus fully renovated and paid off in full!
We enter 2022 with hope and a renewed commitment to continue to be the voice for children.
- Recruit at least 90 new volunteers
- Serve EVERY child who needs a CASA advocate
- Build playground and walking/biking path
- Reopen in-person connections and training
- Expand diversity/inclusivity efforts
- Partner with diverse groups in our community to expand outreach, recruitment, and acquire resources for our children
- Train ALL advocates on new volunteer policies
- Launch basketball tournament, community non-profit day, children’s book fair
- Expand Children’s Christmas at CASA event
- Leads for businesses/groups/churches/etc. for volunteer recruitment
- Teams of 4 people who want to play “Get Caught Doing Good for Kids” social networking – April 1, 2022
- Guests and vendors for “Passport To Fashion” event – June 4, 2022
- Kitchen supplies: hotpads, dish towels, dish rags
- New donor’s gifts matched this year up to $7,500 due to the generosity of an anonymous donor! Make your gift work twice as hard for kids this year!
CASA’S NEW CAMPUS: 3616 West Way St., Tyler
CASA for Kids of East Texas purchased a new “campus” in July of 2020 and began renovations soon after. We are so excited to announce that our renovations are 100% complete and feature a “Conference Center,” and Children’s Center with a visitation area and toy “shop.” Our final phase will be the creation of an outdoor children’s area with a playground and pathway for walking and biking. We invite you to drop by and see our progress.
Making CASA’s dream facility became a reality.
- Triple the square footage.
- Two buildings (1 for offices, 1 for Training and Child Visitations)
- Triple the training and meeting space.
- Children’s Visitation Room for on-site visits between children and their advocate.
- Space for all staff and future growth.
- Large Volunteer Resource/Project Room.
- Adult and Children’s Library.
- Large room for toys and other children’s needs.
- Peaceful land for possible playground, picnic area, walk/bike path.
Mary Jo Burgess