The mission of CASA for Kids of East Texas, Inc. is to support abused and neglected children in Smith, Van Zandt, and Wood Counties by providing court-appointed, trained community volunteers who advocate for loving, safe, and permanent outcomes.
Our vision is to assign a CASA volunteer advocate for every abused and neglected child that needs one.
Established in 1990, CASA® for Kids of East Texas, Inc. is a non-profit organization that provides trained community volunteers to advocate for the abused and neglected children of Smith, Wood, and Van Zandt Counties.
CASA is a national volunteer movement that began in 1977 when Judge David Soukup in Seattle decided he needed to know more about the children whose lives were in his hands. His solution was to ask community volunteers to act as a “voice in court” for abused and neglected children. These Court Appointed Special Advocates® (CASAs) provided him with the detailed information he needed to safeguard the children’s best interests and ensure that they were placed in safe, permanent homes as quickly as possible. The program was so successful that it was copied around the nation.
- CASA for Kids of East Texas is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization governed by a volunteer board of directors.
- CASA for Kids of East Texas is a member of the National and Texas CASA Associations. There are nearly 1,000 CASA programs nationwide and 71 CASA programs in the state of Texas.
- CASA for Kids has the Platinum Seal of Transparency from GuideStar. Visit Guidestar for more information.
- CASA has earned a 100 out of a 100 rating from Charity Navigator’s Encompass Rating System. This score designates CASA for Kids of East Texas as an official “Give with Confidence” charity, indicating that our organization uses its donations effectively based on Charity Navigator’s criteria.
- CASA for Kids of East Texas is also a Locals Love Us 2018 award winner and the East Texas Better Business Bureau Nonprofit Award Winner for 2018.
Integrity | Standing up for what is right.
Teamwork | Cooperate and work together for the common good of the people we serve and our mission. Treat each other with respect and dignity.
Passion | Putting the heart and mind into the work to get the best. Enthusiasm, desire, and commitment to succeed.
Excellence | Pursuing something important and doing it well, seeking improvement, giving our best.
Commitment | Dedication to service, goals, and other aspects that have an impact both inside and outside the organization.
Empowerment | Employees are encouraged to take initiative, given resources to succeed, and supported when mistakes are made.
Inclusion | CASA for Kids of East Texas strives to provide the best advocacy for all children, fostering an inclusive environment and valuing diversity.
Advocating for the best interest of children requires us to always stand for justice. Navigating the child welfare system with teams of committed staff, volunteers and stakeholders allows us to listen with our hearts, challenge our minds and create safer communities for the children we serve.